Home Based Businesses
Applications for Home Based Occupations must be submitted to the Madison County Building Department for review along with a $200.00 application fee. Applications will be reviewed by Madison County Building Commissioner Jeff Clark and Planning Commission Elvis Hollis. Most application(s) will be completed within the same week in which they are submitted.
If you have any further questions, contact Elvis Hollis Madison County Regional Planning Commission at 731-425-8283 or Madison County Building Department 731-423-6014.
A list of regulations for Home Based Occupations are provided below:
Home occupations, provided that no building permit or certificate of occupancy for such use shall be issued without the written approval of the Board of Zoning Appeals and subject to such conditions as the Board of Zoning Appeals may require in order to preserve and protect the character of the area in which the proposed use is located; and provided further that:
1. The home occupation shall be limited in employment to residents of the property.
2. The home occupation shall be clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the site for dwelling purposes and shall not change the residential character thereof.
3. The home occupation may be conducted within the dwelling and/or within an accessory building provided that all structures used shall be harmonious in appearance with the residential area.
4. Unless otherwise determined by the Board of Zoning Appeals, there shall be no sales of products or services not produced on the premises.
5. There shall be no external alteration of the appearance of the property, the dwelling, or accessory building in which the home occupation is conducted which would reflect the existence of said home occupation. There shall be no outdoor advertising display signs permitted.
6. The home occupation shall not be the primary or incidental storage facilities for a business, industrial, or agricultural activity conducted elsewhere. Also, all storage of materials associated with the home occupation shall not be openly visible and the display of materials, implements, and/or end products shall be prohibited.
7. No additional points of access to any street, road, or highway shall be permitted, unless necessary to provide safe and proper access to the proposed use.
8. The use has not been found likely to become a nuisance by reason of odor, dust, smoke, gas, vibrations, excessive vehicular or pedestrian traffic or to impose a hazard to health or property.